When I tell young people about making money through agribusiness, the first thing most of them think of is wearing gloves and going to the farm. However, agribusiness is not necessarily about interacting with animals and getting hands dirty with soil. 21st-century agriculture is far different from pre-industrial revolution farming.
With modern technologies at our disposal, the agribusiness sector now presents numerous opportunities for young people to make money without keeping animals or even cultivating the land. All you need is the right information accompanied by a keen interest in or passion for the idea you’ve chosen to undertake.
I know many young people out there, especially those of us with college degrees or university certificates don’t like farming because the traditional stereotype against agriculture still holds millions of youths captive. Fortunately, we have the internet with us and we can now learn from one another.
Reading forward, you will notice that our list of “20 ways you can make money in agribusiness without going to the farm” below consists of suggestions that are implementable with little to no training.
Again, these top agribusiness ideas for startups revolve around supporting agribusiness investments, selling farm produce or machinery, creating agribusiness content, offering consultancy services, and selling agribusiness skills.
- Provide transportation services for farmers
- Write agribusiness articles online –farm blog
- Create videos on agribusiness –run a farming YouTube channel
- Be a livestock house constructor
- Start a recruiting/training agency for farmers –start a learning hub for farmers –sell your skills
- Agriculture equipment rentals
- Start a food processing business
- Give farm loans/capital to farmers
- Export/import farm produce
- Sell farm produce/inputs/machines etc.
- Become a cereal supplier – win tenders in government institutions
- Start an online marketplace for farm products
- Become intermediary –connecting farmers and buyers locally
- Rent out your farmland
- Provide irrigation and power/alternative energy solution to agripreneurs
- Offer organic greenhouse solution to farmers
- Export farm inputs and machinery
- Become an agronomy consultant
- Farm visits for students –learning experiences for students
Note: This is the first part of our 20 ways to make money from agribusiness in Kenya without going to the farm. I will drop links to the other sections below.